Thursday, August 9, 2012

Making of the Blood Elf Paladin (small parts and wig part 1)

Man, I'm gonna need to hustle if I want to get my Blood Elf Paladin ready in time for Tracon. I'm not completely screwed yet, I have done some things and I'm even writing this at work to save time (I'm not slacking off, there are no guests at the museum and nothing to do right now).

Sooo, as I mentioned in my previous post, I'm currently working on the T2 judgement armor for a blood elf paladin from World of Warcraft (which is actually funny becuase I play a warlock myself...). I haven't been working on this for very long (on and off for about two weeks). The parts I have made are mostly small jewlery and accessories. I will however try to present what I have done so far (and make it seem like a hell of a lot more than it actually is)


The Wig and the eyebrows
Took some work, and I still haven't tried the wig on my head as it is right now. I have a very small head, and that makes most wigs very ill fitting for me. I'm gonna have to stuff my wigcap with newspaper or something in order to fill out the empty space under the wig.
This wig is a very long one without any previous styling (I got it for my Rapunzel costume), so I'm pretty pleased with the result (it still needs some brushing up in the back, though).
Also: the eyebrows. They are made out of the damaged tips of the wig. My friend thought I was making a female version of wolwerine when she saw them lol xD
I have ordered the ears, and they were posted on tuesday so when they arrive I'm gonna have a wig and make-up test!
here's MaoMao working the wig and brows.


Some of the jewlery
well most of it actually. The only jewlery and accessories missing are the chains and the red stones.
The red-and-gold-stones took some work. I redid them twice, becuase I wasn't happy with the result the first two times.

the old uglies and the new slightly less uglies.


The daggers for the shoulder armor (and other stuff)
This took some thinking and planning... First I thought I could buy some toy daggers and paint them the right color, but apparently children don't play with the same kind of toys as I did, cause I coudn't find anything good anywhere... I ended up making my own daggers from markers, leather, some FIMO-clay, isolation foam and foam-sheets. they are still in parts, but look rather promising seeing that the only props I've made before where tonfas (which are a piece of cake really...) I dislike the uneaven clay part, but in a way it kind of looks like a slightly used piece of armor so I guess it kind of suits the concept...

the accessories so far. The handles of the daggers are the ones sticking out from under the gray thing


The armors for the arms
Now this is something I've made before (for my Ashe costume). I made them the same way as before, using foam sheets. I thought the armor would be the pricy and difficult part of this costume but one arm armor ended up costing roughly two euros, not bad for a cheap person like me!

1. I cut out the armors and shaped them by heating them over the stove...
2. ... Then I applied some fabric to the back of each piece to make it stronger...
3. ... And added five coats of glue mixed with water to further strenghten them and seal of the foam.

Finally I painted all the parts black and glued them together, after which I added a final coat of black paint. I then applied the clay decorations and now I just have to paint the whole thing golden! I'm gonna try to give them a slightly rusty color to make them look more genuine (like I did with the daggers).




Right now I'm working on millions of things at the same time, but hopefully I will be able to make a post with actual finished parts soon!
I must say I am really enjoying myself! This costume is tons of fun to make, I just hope I get it to the convention in one piece...

the wonderful wizard of COS answered my prayers during a funk.



what else are you supposed to do with your work out equipment?

4 comments:

  1. Oi tästä tulee niin hieno! En malta odottaa näkeväni tämän Traconissa!!
    Itsekkin olen aikeissa jossain vaiheessa cossata WoWista. Unelmani olisi tehdä Draenei cossi, koska Draeneit <3 Itse pelasin aikoinaan Draenei hunterilla.
    Armorit näyttävät todella hienoilta jo nyt!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. kiitos! Toivon vain että edistyn vähän nopeammin koska kohta tulee kiire :D Mutta dranei cossi olisi aivan mahtava! Itse olen lähes aina pelannut blood elfillä tai undeadilla (mutta sitä cossia en halua edes yrittää) :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Diggaan noit kulmakarvoi. XDD
    Hyvältä näyttää vaikka en tiedä minkä näköinen hahmo on.

    Satuiks sulla muuten olemaan mitään hajua pystyykö craft foamia muotoilemaan induktio hellalla? Meidän talossa ku ei muuta ole ja tulevaisuudessa olis myös mulla tarkoitus tehä softisarmoreja..

    Ja LOL toi viimeinen kuva!! Äidillä saattaa olla just toi sama work-out kone, ei hitsi. xDDD Sitä ei oo käytetty pitkään aikaan ja siinä sit aina roikkuu min kimonoita, huppareita ja random cossiosia silloin ku en jaksa laittaa niitä kaappiin. lol Nyt tosiaan se on lähtenyt ulkovarastoon koska tilanpuute.. xD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. postasin hahmosta kuvan edelliseen merkintään :)
      en tiedä yhtään, en ole ikinä kokellut, voithan yrittää varovaisesti, tai sitten käyttää kuumaa hiuskuivaajaa :)
      softis armorit ovat niiiin btw todella kivoja tehdä!

      ainahan turhiin laitteisiin pitää ripustaa cossi tarvikkeita xD eihän ne voi ihan turhia olla kun kerran vievät niin paljon tilaa xD

      Delete